About Me

My photo
My name is Hannah. My mission is to make the world a happier, healthier place one relationship at a time. I help individuals and couples alike improve their sex lives and romantic relationships through better communication and self-reflection. During coaching sessions, I provide a safe place for individuals to be vulnerable and discover their authentic selves. I titled this blog Snuggle Struggles because I believe a healthy relationship is a mix of both. The snuggles - intimacy, laughter, play, happiness - must be acknowledged and celebrated. The struggles - arguments, frustration, anger - must also be acknowledged and treated as opportunities for growth. The struggles show us what needs work in the relationship. So I will write about the lessons I have learned from the snuggles and the struggles because both make my relationship strong.

Friday, February 7, 2020

How Grounding Helped My Sex Life

There are many ways to improve your sex life. I used to think the only way to improve was to have more sex. Of course practice does help, but today I want to talk about an effective way to improve pleasure that doesn’t even involve sex!

Last year, I read a book called The Wild Woman’s Way by Michaela Boehm. Throughout the book, she talks about how everyone carries inside two energies. She refers to these as the “go” and “flow” energies (aka Shiva and Shakti or “masculine” and “feminine”). “Go” is the consciousness energy. It stems from our head, it’s task oriented. Think of the energy you use when you’re sitting at a computer or trying to solve a problem with your mind. “Flow” on the other hand, is the active energy. It resides in our body and it’s active when your are in motion, present, and feeling pleasure. In our western culture, we emphasize and reward “go” mode most of the time and it can be easy to get stuck in this state -- to get stuck in your head.” But both “go” and “flow” energies are needed to have a fulfilling sexual experience.

Many couples grapple with issues of sexual interest and initiation, especially in long term relationships. Couples may go through times of less sexual arousal and less fulfillment. The analogy used in the book goes like this: imagine being completely unexcited or unaroused as a “0” and having an orgasm as “100.” If you are working all day in go mode, you’re tired, stressed (maybe you hate your job), and come home to a horny partner, trying to achieve an orgasm is like going from 0-100. On the other hand, if you take time out of your day to intentionally nurture your flow” energy, the next time you want to achieve an orgasm, you may only be going from 60-100.

This analogy changed the way I approach my sex life. One of the struggles I have with enjoying sex is that I get stuck in my head. If I think about wanting an orgasm too much, I can’t get there. Sometimes I worry about the other person so much, I can’t enjoy myself. If I’m stressed outside of the bedroom, I have trouble relaxing, and my mind wanders during sex. I’m stuck in “go” mode. Before reading this book, I hadnt thought about trying body-conscious activities outside the bedroom to help improve pleasure in the bedroom.

Since finishing this book, I have been practicing grounding exercises and they have really enhanced my sex life. I consider a grounding exercise as anything that helps me connect with one or more of my five senses. One practice the book suggests is Michaela’s “Non-Linear Movement Method:” turn on a song (preferably with no words) and move to the music. You can call it dancing but it’s not really dancing. However you are compelled to move, do it. If this sounds too “strange” to you, there are plenty of other grounding exercises. Here are 3 of my favorites to bring me back into my body:

1) Walking Barefoot:
Connecting my feet with the earth calms my mind. I like walking on grass, especially, but you can walk barefoot on the beach, dirt, or even gravel (ouch). I use this activity because it activates my sense of touch and nature always makes me feel better. Studies have suggested a connection between this grounding exercise and reducing stress, improving sleep quality, and decreasing muscle tension. You can experience the same effects using your hands. For example, gardening without gloves on or climbing a tree (yes, I am a tree-hugger)! I leave my shoes off as much as possible and when I have an opportunity to put my feet in the dirt, I indulge.

2) Cooking
I love chopping fresh herbs like garlic, parsley, cilantro, sage, anything that has a strong scent. I enjoy this activity because it not only activates my sense of smell but I get to be creative, as well, in the cooking process. And who doesn’t like having a meal cooked for them? I get to enjoy grounding myself and then the reward of serving friends or family a delicious meal.

3) Sitting Quietly
I call this one sitting quietly instead of meditation, because sometimes meditation feels overwhelming. When I first tried meditating, I thought I was failing because I couldn’t clear my mind. You are not bad at meditating if you can’t clear your mind! The point is to sit quietly and focus on your breathing. If your mind starts to wander, just notice that it is wandering and gently bring your attention back to your breathing. It is natural to wander! Once I understood the point was not to clear my mind, I started getting more benefits out of my quiet time. This activity is most helpful when practiced daily -- all you need is 10-15 minutes! I feel more present and relaxed during this activity and after I’m finished, the feeling carries on throughout my day. Slowing down does wonders for the creative process, too.

The point of these activities is to get back in touch with my five senses. They help me feel more in touch with my body, where the “flow” energy stems. None of these activities are inherently sexual either, but they have improved my sex life. It’s hard to switch from “go go go” to “present, relaxed and sensual” at the drop of a hat (or pants). But if I’m practicing grounding exercises on a daily basis, I am primed for relaxation and pleasure. Instead of starting from 0, I’m starting from 50, 60, or 70 by the time I do anything sexy.

This book also made me think more deeply about the separation between mind awareness and body awareness. They do not have to be mutually exclusive but I realized I was definitely more in touch with one than the other. For me, it was the mind connection. Since I’ve started focusing more on grounding, my body connection has become stronger.

As I mentioned before, awareness of both mind and body are needed in order to have a fulfilling sexual adventure. In my experience, awareness is usually evenly split with one partner being more mind-conscious and one partner more body-conscious. I realize now the role of “submissive” is a much more body-conscious activity for me. As a stereotypical female, I have been used to playing this “role” for most of my active sex life. In hindsight, I wasn’t enjoying it to the fullest because I was stuck in my head most of the time. This focus on my mind is much more useful for a “dominant” role. Strengthening my mind-body connection has inspired me to switch between roles from dominant to submissive with more ease and enjoyment. If I’m feeling more “go,” I enjoy being dominant which looks like me leading the sexual experience and giving more than I’m receiving. If I’m feeling more “flow,” I enjoy being submissive which looks like me “following the leader” and receiving more than I’m giving. Sex is fun for me in a different way now. I feel like I have more control over my pleasure. It’s no longer all about the orgasm. Instead, it’s an entire experience that I get to create with my partner(s). As Dan Savage puts it, “sex is like cops and robbers with your clothes off,” so have fun with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

How Grounding Helped My Sex Life

There are many ways to improve your sex life. I used to think the only way to improve was to have more sex. Of course practice does help,...